Monday

Leon Bonnat


As you'd expect, I'm a huge fan of tonal realists. Of the whole bunch though, my favorite has to be Leon Bonnat. After all the years I've spent looking at 'Job', it still gives me that electric buzz.


His work has been a huge influence on me. I used the above painting as a guide for this one of mine from some years ago, when I was trying to come to grips with ideas of light and tonal composition, notice the book! (I only link to my painting because a direct side by side comparison would be too painful)

I've never found a good book on Bonnat, I survive on infrequent reproductions in collections and crappy jpegs. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

5 comments:

Marco Folchi said...

Hi Jeremy, try this:
Musee Bonnat www.museebonnat.bayonne.fr , maybe they print a book.

jem said...

good idea!

cheers marco

Unknown said...

Thanks for pointing Bonnat out ... I'm going to hunt him down!

jem said...

not a prob, he's such a great painter.

Nazgul William said...

GREAT TESTIMONY HOW I GOT MY LOAN I have a very important message to share with everyone that is in need of a loan from a genuine lender. I'm happy to share this note with everyone after what myself and my wife went through in the hands of some pathetic hoodlums claiming to offer some sort of loans. It's very difficult to get a genuine lender and thanks to Best Loan lender who helped me with the loan, Contact them if you are in need of a loan and come back to thank me later. I promise you they will not disappoint you. contact Email:- (pedroloanss@gmail.com Whatsapp +18632310632) Thanks.
Nazgul William.....